11:50:15 pm (CAT)

This site is SSL Secured!

Central Region Accommodation

Windhoek, the capital, lies in the central highland between the Auas and Eros Mountains and the picturesque Khomas-Hochland stretching west to the Desert. Places of interest include: The Alte Feste, built in 1890-1892 by the founder of Windhoek, Major Curt von Francois, accommodates the historical exhibitions of the State Museum. The "Christuskirche" of the German-Lutheran community, consecrated in 1910. Curt von Francois Statue in front of the modern municipal building in honour of the founder of the city. The castles Schwerinburg, Heinitzburg and Sanderburg, built in 1913, 1914 and 1917. The Art Gallery, where there are always exhibitions, with the arts theatre in the same complex. The Equestrian Statue in honour of the German soldiers who fell in the Herero and Nama wars of 1904 - 1908; by the Berlin sculptor Kürle and unveiled in 1912.

The Daan Viljoen Game Park, situated 24 km west of Windhoek in the Khomas-Hochland, is sanctuary to a relatively large population of game species typical of Namibia's highlands, and offers rest houses, camping and caravan sites, a restaurant and a swimming-pool.

Okahandja, 72 km to the north of Windhoek, has a high interest potential. For the Herero it is an important cultural-historical link with the past and for the wood cavers from the north, it offers the opportunity to practice their ancient skills at the Mbangura Woodcarvers Market. The Gross-Barmen Hot Springs, where the first mission station for the Herero was erected in 1844, are 27 km from Okahandja. There is a rest camp, several artesian springs and a large dam with aquatic birds.

The Von Bach Recreation Resort on the Sartorius von Bach Dam south of Okahandja has day camping facilities for picnic-makers and offers great opportunities for water sport enthusiasts. Karibib is situated on the main road between Windhoek and Swakopmund. The surrounding area is the largest producer of marble and granite in Namibia. It is also known for quartz and semi-precious stones.

The volcanic Spitzkoppe which rises 48 km northwest of Usakos to a height of 1 829 metres is known for its rock paintings and stone implements. There is a community-based campsite. Philipp's Cave, on the farm Ameib, 32 km north of Usakos, contains several rock paintings, of which the White Elephant is the best known. Stones and rocks stacked in interesting formation are known as the Bulls' Party.

Gobabis is a town in eastern Namibia and is the regional capital of the Omaheke Region. Gobabis is situated 200 km down the B6 motorway from Windhoek to Botswana. The town is 110 km from...

The small town of Karibib is located just midway between Windhoek and Swakopmund. The town renowned for the high quality marble (considered to be the hardest in the world) mined near the...

Historically Okahandja is known as the "Garden Town of Namibia". Although, today Okahandja is an industrial town, many major companies have made Okahandja there home, because of the...

Omaruru is situated near the Erongo Mountains, on the usually dry Omaruru River. It is located on the main paved road from Swakopmund to Otjiwarongo. The name in the local Otjiherero...

Rehoboth is a town of 21,000 inhabitants in central Namibia just north of the Tropic of Capricorn. Located 90 kilometres south of the Namibian capital Windhoek, Rehoboth lies on a high...

The city is the major commercial and financial centre of Namibia. It sits on a sloping plain on the northern side of the Khomas Hochland at an altitude of 1,728 metres. In southern,...

Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport (HKIA) is the most important airport in Namibia and is rather far from Windhoek, 42 kilometers east of the capital. The airport is used almost...