01:43:02 am (CAT)

This site is SSL Secured!

Beaufort West Accommodation

It is the largest town in the arid Great Karoo region, and forms part of the Beaufort West Local Municipality, with 37 000 inhabitants in 2001. It is the centre of an agricultural district based mainly on sheep farming, and is a significant town on the N1 national road. Next door to Beaufort West is the Karoo National Park. Important fossils have been found in the area, initially by David Baird, son of the local magistrate in 1827. As part of a drive to create employment opportunities, a hydroponics project was started and now supplies premium herbs and vegetables nationally.

The old Town Hall and the Dutch Reformed Church have been declared national monuments. The town was founded in 1818 and initially named Beaufort after Henry Somerset, 5th Duke of Beaufort, who was the father of Lord Charles Henry Somerset, then governor of the Cape Colony. The town was renamed Beaufort West in 1869 to avoid confusion with Port Beaufort in the Western Cape as well as Fort Beaufort in the Eastern Cape.

Beaufort West
South Africa
32° 20' 54.5892" S
22° 36' 20.9844" E
Javascript is required to view this map.