06:32:49 am (CAT)

This site is SSL Secured!

Touws River Accommodation

On 7 November 1877, the Worcester–Matjiesfontein section of the Cape Government Railways' Cape Town–Kimberley main line was opened to traffic. The line included a station, originally named "Montagu Road", where the line bridged the Touws River. The name was given in reference to the town of Montagu, which lies about 90 kilometres to the south by road. In 1883 the station was renamed "Touwsrivier".

The town of Touws River developed around the railway depot, at which locomotives were changed after the climb over the Hex River Pass. It was particularly busy because of the need to bank trains over the pass; banking locomotives were turned at Touws River to return to De Doorns. From 1924 it also served as the junction for the branch line to Ladismith. The closing of the Ladismith branch in 1981 and the opening of the Hex River Tunnel in 1989 reduced the importance of Touws River as a depot.

Touws River
South Africa
33° 20' 25.0116" S
20° 1' 58.9944" E
Javascript is required to view this map.
Starting from R 2,195.00 p/p sharing | FI
Aquila Private Game Reserve

Aquila Private Game Reserve is basically wedged between the Langeberg and the Outeniqua Mountains, in the Klein Karoo. Setting the scene are spellbinding landscapes,...